I am an anthropologist and bioethicist at the Center for Biomedical Ethics at Stanford Univeristy and a faculty affiliate in the Program for Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, also at Stanford.
My recent work examines "gender verification" of elite female athletes. An article analyzing the latest policies was published in the American Journal of Bioethics. We also recently published a response to a letter to the editor about our article. Commentaries written with Rebecca Jordan-Young have appeared in the New York Times, The Guardian, New Scientist, and Discover.
Our work has been covered in the New York Times, Time, The Week, CNN, ESPN, The Daily Beast, The Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Jezebel, Slate, The Chronicle of Higher Education, San Jose Mercury News, and the Toronto Star. I've also appeared on the BBC, CBS News, NBC News, KCBS, CTV News, Q Radio, and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (see Media).
We are curently writing a book on this topic for Harvard Univeristy Press.
- November 12, 2013 - Quote in Time magazine.
- October 3, 2013 - A new piece on informed consent.
- April 4, 2013 - Our response to a letter to the editor addresing our earlier AJOB article has just come out.
- February 4, 2013 - A new publication on pediatric transplant listing decisions.
- September 29, 2012 - Discover magazine's November issue has a piece by Beck and I.
- August 11, 2012 - More in the San Jose Mercury News.
- August 10, 2012 - Australian Broadcasting Corporation piece.
- August 8, 2012 - Bit in AAAS blog.
- August 8, 2012 - CNN piece.
- August 7, 2012 - A small piece in Macleans.
- August 5, 2012 - NBC news on the new Olympic policy.
- August 1, 2012 - A new article in ESPN.
- July 30, 2012 - A bit in the LA Times.
- July 30, 2012 - Our interview on BBC Woman's Hour.
- July 27, 2012 - A bit in Sciences et Avenir.
- July 25, 2012 - The Daily Beast has a piece on the policies.
- July 25, 2012 - An article in Slate talks about our work.
- July 24, 2012 - Story in the Medical Observor (Australia) on our work.
- July 24, 2012 - Interview on KCBS-AM, San Francisco.
- July 20, 2012 - A short bit by Andrew Sullivan in the The Daily Beast that mentions our work.
- July 18, 2012 - A commentary based on our AJOB piece is in the New Scientist. And a nice editorial accompanying our piece in the New Scientist.
- July 17 - UK bound for two conferences and the Olympics.
- July 2, 2012 - A new op-ed with Beck in The Guardian.
- July 2, 2012 - A short piece in Time Magazine.
- June 29, 2012 - A bit more on the new IOC policies in the Boston Globe.
- June 27, 2012 - An interview on CBS News. See below.
- June 26, 2012 - A post on the Mail & Guardian Thought Leader blog in South Africa.
- June 25, 2012 - San Jose Mercury News picked up on our NYT piece.
- June 19, 2012 - Discussions of our work in The Week, ZimDiaspora, and the Chronicle of Higher Education blog.
- June 19, 2012 -Interview on CTV News.
- June 19, 2012 - On Q on CBC Radio in Toronto, Canada. Go to 27 minutes to hear the interview.
- June 18, 2012 - Jezebel wrote about our NYT piece here: "Here's Why Olympic Sex Verification is a Bad Idea."
- June 17, 2012 - A new commentary on sex testing of elite female athletes is in the New York Times, "Sex Verification: You Say You’re a Woman? That Should Be Enough." Reprinted in the Toronto Star.
- June 15, 2012 - A new commentary on sex testing of elite female athletes is in Anthropology News. See here: "Some of Their Parts: 'Gender Verification' and Elite Sports."
- June 14, 20012 - A few quotes from Beck and I in the Toronto Star, "London 2012: IOC gender testing policy challenged."
- June 13, 2012 - A podcast with Paul Costello, "Sex Testing of Elite Female Athletes" based on our new article in AJOB on the new IOC/IAAF policies on hyperandrogenism.
- May 2012 - A few quotes about the new law passed in Argentina that allows transgender folks to change their sex with no court approval or medical oversight/intervention. And that requires insurers to cover any intervention they choose. See "Transgender Advocates Hail Law Easing Rule in Argentina" in New York Times and "Argentina Makes Sex-Change Surgery A Legal Right," which was picked up by the Washington Post, Huffington Post, International Business Times, NY Daily News, and Jezebel.
- March 31, 2012 - Interview with Mihir Gupta in H&P: The Stanford Medical Student Journal. Thanks Mihir.
- November 22, 2011 - Apparently Fixing Sex is good to teach with! A huge debt of gratitude to Beck Jordan-Young for such praise! I'm blushing.